Sunday, February 14, 2010

Snow, snow, and more snow...

Last week we were warned of the looming snow storm that was headed our direction.  We listened to the weather report, watched the radar, and prayed (well, Gauge prayed) for a snow day.  The meteorologists claimed we would be getting around a foot of snow.  Ya, right (as I rolled my eyes).  Every single bit of now we have gotten this season has been less that what they claimed we would receive.  So pretty much I have a “I’ll believe it when I see it” policy with the snow.  But I couldn’t help being excited about the thought of a foot of snow.  I can’t remember there being a foot of snow on the ground, and I guess the official date of the last time this county has seen a foot of snow was March of 1993. 
 
Friday came and up until about 2 p.m. there wasn’t much going on outside except a few flurries.  But, after that, the weather went crazy.  The ground was covered almost instantly with a blanket of snow.  When I left work at 4:30, it was snowing harder than I’ve seen in a long time.  The flakes were huge and heavy and by the time I walked the half block to my car, my hair was soaking wet.  The parking lot was covered, the cars were covered, and there was already a few inches on the ground. 
 
It’s funny to me the way people act when we do get some snow.  They act like they’ve never seen it before.  On Thursday, the grocery stores were packed like people were storing up for the end of time.  On Friday, before any snow had fallen, they sent home almost every school in our county.  After work it took me about 40 minutes to get home, which is double what it usually does, and not because the snow was that bad, it was because people think that it is necessary to drive 15mph through town on the main roads.  I mean, come on people, WE LIVE IN OHIO! It snows every year, usually several decent sized snow storms, and yet, it seems as if some of these people on the roads have never driven in the snow.
 
It continued to snow pretty much consistently through Friday evening and all night.  When I got up Saturday morning and looked outside, I couldn’t believe my eyes! We really did get a foot of snow. And it was still snowing.  I couldn’t wait to get the boys outside and take some photos of them in the snow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So after lunch, we bundled up, and headed on outside.  Reid had never been out in the snow, so this was a really big deal to him.  He was so excited to play in it.  He kept picking up big pieces of snow/ice and carrying them around. We got his new sled he got for Christmas out and I pulled him up and down the alley and he kept giggling so loud.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

 Gauge invited one of his friends over and they wrestled around in the snow and threw snowballs at each other.  Both boys love playing in the snow.  And I love the snow.  But Rod hates the snow, and I mean HATES the snow.  He hates all of it, the cold, the shoveling, the snow…all of it.  But we are very lucky to have Joe as our next door neighbor, because while we were all out playing, Joe used his snowblower and did our sidewalks for us.  He (and his wife) are some of the best neighbors we could ask for. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Gauge and his buddy stayed outside for quite a while, but I knew it was time to take Reid in.  His poor little face was bright red and his hands had to be frozen.  So when I picked him up to take him inside, the temper tantrum began.  He screamed like a fire siren.  And kept screaming while I got him undressed.  But the funny thing is that I took him upstairs for a nap right after that and I think it took him all of five minutes to fall asleep.  I think the snow got the best of him.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Overall, I would say we are a house that loves the snow (and even though Rod claims he hates it, he sure seemed to enjoy playing in it with the boys and the dogs).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It continued to snow all week. Gauge was so thrilled...three snow days on one week! The best part for him was going to Tanner’s house on Tuesday. My friend, Julie, is so nice to let Gauge come over on snow days to play with Tanner. They had a blast, digging in the snow and having snowball fights, and I have to say, Gauge sleeps better after he spends the day at Julie’s house than he does any other day.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Powered By Blogger