The Elf on the Shelf made his appearance again this year in the Jordan home. This is the second year that we have had our family elf spend the Christmas season with us. Last year, Gauge and Alyssa named him Buddy, after the movie Elf. The Elf on the Shelf is a book that tells how each family has their own elf that watches over the children and flies to the North Pole each night to report to Santa. The elf is magical and he moves from place to place in the house each day until Christmas. No one can touch him though, because if they do, he will lose his magic. He appeared again on December 1, which must mean that is officially the start of the Christmas season. Gauge found him first this year. I love this story, it just makes my heart melt because we all know what happens about this age with little kids and Christmas. Gauge went upstairs to brush his teeth before bed and after being up there a few minutes came bouncing back down the stairs, looked at me and said “Well, it’s started”. When I asked him what he meant, he told me that the elf was in the bathroom and he wanted to show me. When I went upstairs there he was, sitting on the bathroom shelf smiling back at us. I told Gauge that he looked like he was going to fall off the shelf and that I should probably move him back (kind of as a bit of a test for Gauge), and as I moved my hand toward the elf, Gauge screamed “NOOOOO, DON’T TOUCH HIM!!” I looked at him, and tried so hard not to giggle, and he said “Mom…if you touch him, he loses his magic.” I think, by the look on his face, he wanted to add a “Duh!” to the end of sentence. I left the room and could have cried. Santa’s magic lives on for Gauge.

1 comment:
this one made me cry...i just don't want this magic to ever end!
Post a Comment