Well, we made it home from our trip at one-ish Sunday morning. After the horrible trip home, and the week away, I had completely forgotten about what the house looked like when we left. I wish I would have taken a photo of what it looked like when we came home (but since my good camera died, I didn’t even think to grab the old one). I have the photo of after we opened gifts Christmas morning, but multiply that by all the gifts that come home for all of us from my dad’s house, and just tossed wherever we could find a place. So when I walked in and saw it like that, I could have just cried. We were all exhausted and cranky after that long ride and although I am extremely grateful for all the wonderful gifts we received, I would have given anything for my fairy godmother to have waived her magic wand and said Bibbity Bobbity Boo and all the gifts were neatly tucked away in their appropriate places. Unfortunately, no such luck. The next morning we got up, and came downstairs. It was so funny when Reid walked down the stairs and said “Ooooo” in his high pitched squeal of delight. It was like Christmas morning when he saw all the gifts. Needless to say, there wasn’t a peep heard from him all day while he was playing with his new toys. Rod & I spend the day cleaning up the mess and dodging Nerf gun bullets (thank you Gauge). So to end the day, I was coming up from the basement with dinner in my hand, tripped, and fell down the stairs. Of course I tried to catch myself and landed on my wrist and left side. What a dummy move. That was my New Years gift to myself.
Monday and Tuesday I, of course, had the hardest time walking around. I was so sore and considering my RA was already flared up when I fell, it was about a million times worse now. I looked like the biggest gimp hobbling around all over the office.
Tuesday, Rod called me on his way home from picking up Reid to tell me that Reid has spots on him that looked like chicken pox. Oh wonderful I thought. So I called the doctor and made him an appointment. That evening, while feeling like I had been hit by a train, I was getting dinner ready, and while the convection over was running, it got really bright inside, made this loud pop noise, and shut off. And that was it. It wouldn’t turn back on. It wouldn’t do anything. I just looked at it and thought, you have got to be kidding me. After dinner, I went in to the laptop to work on some photos that I need to get edited. I spent about an hour working on them and then all of a sudden, the screen went black. I wasn’t sure what was going on, but I was completely irritated. I sat there for a few minutes, and when nothing happened, I shut it off and then turned it back on. And all that was there was the same black screen. Then I started to panic. And then I flipped out.
Wednesday morning, I took Reid to the doctor. As soon as we got there, he knew where we were. He kept pointing at the front door and saying “Buh-bye?”. He hates the doctor’s office for some reason. We went back into the examination room and as I was getting him undressed, he flipped out. He must have a great memory, because the only thing Rod or I can think of is he remembers getting his shots. The doctor came in and looked at Reid’s spots. No it isn’t chicken pox, but it’s a staff infection. All that kept running through my head was all the public places we were in the past week or so and all the gross germs that crawl around in all those public places. Yuck! But the doctor did tell me that some people just get staff infections on their skin from time to time without a real reason for it. So we picked up his prescription and hopefully he will be on the mend shortly.
When I got up earlier Wednesday morning, I again tried to start up the computer, with no luck. I called my friend Jane (aka my computer guru) and left her a message to see if she could help us. That evening she walked Rod through trying some different trials to see if anything would work. Unfortunately, it didn't. I just had a bad feeling. But, I didn't want to flip out again, so I took a deep breath, and told myself, if it's a gonner, it's a gonner, and not amount of throwing a temper tantrum was going to help (and I wonder why my children throw fits...ha!). So at this point, it looked like data recovery was the only thing left to try. So that's what the plan is for the weekend. I have so much information on that computer, a lot of it backed up, and a lot of it not backed up. Dumb, I know. Maybe one of my New Year's resolutions should have been to not do so many dumb things!
Needless to say, I was not sad to see this week come and go. Next week has to be better, right?!?






No comments:
Post a Comment